Raw Mangoes are one of the blessings of summer. And in North India it rules the kitchen and is extensively used to make chutneys, aam panna ( Summer Drink), Pickles for consumption throughout the year, dried to make Mango powder ( Aamchoor) and many more other recipes are a common thing across household.
Raw Mangoes are like your appraisal season only comes once a year and is the happiest time to process and make whatever you can before it goes away or ripe up to be the king of fruits.
So here’s a quick recipe with Raw mango that’s going to be sweet and tangy at the same time. You can store it for the entire year to consume it’s like a pickle or jam or a substitute of chutney. Let’s have a look at the ingredients.
1. 200 gms grated pulp of Raw mango.
2. 250 gms of Jaggery ( You can use sugar as well but Jaggery is more healthy ).
3. Roasted Jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Black Salt & Red Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Musk Melon seeds 1 teaspoon ( Optional )
1. Take 300gms of Mango ,wash thoroughly and let them dry. After drying peel ,cut and grate. ( The grated Raw mango comes out to be 200 gms if it’s more please increase the jaggery ).
2. Take 250 gms of Jaggery. You can use sugar if you want , sugar gives very bright orange color and it looks good too. But I prefer jaggery over sugar that’s why this will attain a dark brown color.
3. Mix Grated Raw mango, jaggery , salt and chilli powder in a heating pan and put to flame.
4 Place the lid and let it cook.
5. The Jaggery will melt and the raw mango threads will start changing color and will be translucent when cooked. Now add Melon seeds and Jeera powder.
6. You can close the flame once the entire water is evaporated. Its important that your dish looses all the water as that gives shelf life to this pickle. Let it cool now.
7. Put it in a air tight glass container and you can start consuming immediately.
Enjoy it with bread as Jam or have it with paranthas as chutney or just add to anything that you wish to have with a sweet and spicy taste.
Raw Mangoes are great for health. They are best at beating the heat, cures stomachache , good for heart and also cures scurvy. Its an energy booster and is extremely good for liver and intestine.
So enjoy this delicacy and preserve it to tinkle your taste buds throughout the year.