“A women place is in the kitchen ” i am sure this line comes from someone who for didn’t knew women well.
While few of us really enjoy cooking but its definitely not everyone’s cup of tea either. And this one is dedicated to all my lovely ladies who are always racing against time and still want to be on the top of everything. Working women or a proud home manager you definitely deserve a break from your routine tasks. Herein are few quick tips to reduce your time in kitchen , probably you might want to use this time in front of mirror appreciating the beautiful you ;)……… and don’t tell me what am i talking of.
so Like God of small things , our daily kitchen chorus are a masterpiece of many small tasks, which i would divide in Pre Preparations and during cooking. You might not like / subscribe to each of the tips , but thats okay , be yourself while reading and point out certain points which you feel should be here.
Pre preparations :
1. Try to finish off peeling and chopping work for most of the veggies over the weekend.
a) Peel garlic and onion for the entire week and store it in Air tight containers in the refrigerator.
b) chop and store all your veggies like beans , ladyfingers(bhindi), green leafy vegetables like spinach, methi, spring onion etc. Please ensure you have washed the vegetables thoroughly and have drained the water and left to strain all water.(Put it under fan over a newspaper ).
c) Make Gravy for 3 days in one go for your basic cooking ( cumin seeds, onion, garlic , turmeric, coriander & chili powder , extra salt).
d) Make dough for at 2 days in advance.
e) check all your spices box , dal storage containers to ensure all have sufficient quantities /supplies to sail through the entire week without a refill.
f)Chopping: Make the best use of your TV time by utilizing that time to do the chopping and peeling . Wash all your green leafy vegetables, beans, ladyfinger etc thoroughly and strain all the water. To remove excess water completely put the strained vegetables over a newspaper under fan. Chop the vegetables and store it in air tight container.
g )Kabuli Channa / Rajma : whenever you are about to soak Kabuli Channa / rajma for the preparation in the weekend. Always take more than the required quantity so that you may save it for a quick rajma / sahi channa treat in the weekdays.
h)Pakoras : whenever during the week / weekend you are making Pakroas ( Besan bajiya ) in breakfast or for evening tea. Always make additional Black channa ( Besan ) Batter so that you may make Pakoras for Kadi , Add chopped cabbage or lauki (bottle guard ) to make Pakoras for Kofta. You ll not only have your ready to cook Kofta ready but also saves oil and gas.
I)Black channa : Always soak black channa in sufficient quantity to make multiple things from a single boil. ( Check out Quick Black Channa Recipes – )
j) Dough : try to do dough for at least 2 meals in one go. Working women may choose to to it for 3-4 meals.
k)Premix Wheat barn, grinded ragi, soya, channa flour to the wheat flour and stock so that you don’t have to do this everytime you make dough.
l)Over the weekend check all your spices , dal, rice and other stocks to be used during the week to save the hassel during cooking while you run short of any of the cooking ingredients. This also helps you keep a tab of your kitchen stocks.
m) Soak your Dal , rice , soya chunks, deep freezer vegetables in boiling water while you start cooking to save on time.
- If you plan to do a vegetable, dal, rice and chapatti for a meal start on the gas for all the 4 at the same time. Take out your pre stored dough, peeled onion garlic and chopped vegetables. Add Oil to pan for your vegetable cooking , since all your stuff is ready so quickly get in making it.
- Always have mixi/ grinder & Electric kettle in plugs in the kitchen at a covinient point to help you use these 2. Always use electric kettle to boil water to be used in Dal, Rice and other cooking.(even pouring it in the vessels after you have emptied them post cooking , ll help your maid clear the utensils ).
- always Add rice to the diet, that would help you reduce the number of chapati’s per person.
- Always use cooker to cook the veggie’s that does not need too much preparation.
- use non stick so that if you miss to stir ones it doesnt really make much if a difference.
- Do not do rounds of Slab cleaning after every preparation that would only help you kill more time in kitchen.
So friends, hope you find the tips useful and might use few in future too, in case there are more suggestion, please add it in to the comment , i ll keep updating the Blog
0 comments on “Tips to reduce cooking time for working”