Lets start with Snacks before we move on to the main Dishes to get you to our list of 20 Indian food which we can’t live without and we knew this so we started living with them. While we have a foodliciously delicious family of some amazing food to look at.
- Samosa:if food were to be represented in shapes then this one is a triangle and a dil ka tukda for snack lovers. Nothing can make the aalloo taste so yum better then Samosa.
- Golgappa – This one can’t be missed if we are curating a list of food which we Indians can’t live without. The most common and probably the cheapest snack (Rs. 2-3 per golgappa even cheaper in few cities) that is found widely across the country. One food yet many names phuchka, pani poori, Pani batasa, Golgappa, gupchup etc.
- Dokhla – world famous Gujrati dish is something to die for. Made of gram floor this is yet another food that is an equal treat to both mouth and eyes. In most of the Gujrati households this is a regular snack.
- Poha – Be it Madhya Pradesh or Maharashtra no one can have enough of this lightest snacks ever. Made out of puffed and pressed rice this is another most common breakfast.
- Dahi Bhalla : we can have it as a starter, as a anytime snack or with meal , that’s how a dahi bhalla makes to the Inidan food platter from North Indian Dahi Bhallah to south indian wada where a Medu wada is dipped in curd to prepare Dahi wada(similar to Dahi Bhalla) and Raj Kachori is also another family member of this family.
Before we move to main course dishes let’s see some thirst crunchers on our curated list of must have food
- Lassi – Punjabi or not Punjabi this Indian food is best known to be enjoyed in a big glass with a white butter on the top of it. A glassful is a good source of Calcium that can be had anytime but tastes best in the morning and afternoon.
- Mango shake : Indian summers can never be complete without a glass of mango shake to beat the heat that raises the mercury levels . So this ought to make it to the list. And more so when Mango is the king of fruits.
- Aam Panna : this is not just a thirst cruncher in the scorching heat of summers in north india but is also known for its medicinal effect of being a Satvic food, Kacha aam boiled with herbs like Pepermint, hing , cumin seeds and black salt & pepper is great to build resistant in the body and fight the dehydration in summers. And it is very good for digestion.
- Chaach – we cant really say where Chaach has orginated from , the west call it butter milk but India offers the best possible versions of Chaach and is quick to make to. Curd when churned and white butter is removed becomes Chaach. And believe you us it is one the healthiest form of Milk protein minus the fat.
- Rasam: A sour, spicy soup like dish with a warming to the palette. Yet again an indian food that has lots of medicinal benefits rasam you can have it in winters or when suffering from cough and cold. the spices & herbs that go into the rasam like cumin, black pepper, garlic and tamarind help in relieving the cold and also act as a digestives.so how can we not have Rasam.
Main course dishes that would keep you craving for more.
- Dosa : If you are a South Indian then had Dosa as food ever since you can recall of food. Dosa Joints are easily found across the country offering a wide menu on Dosa starting from Plain Dosa , Masala Dosa , onion dosa, mysore dosa and what not.
- Idly: yet again a south Indian delicacy, idly is the lightest and most healthy whole meal one can have with Sambhar and chutney so this one is ought to make it to the list of top 20 Indian foods. Steamed idly are also a easy way to say no to heavy calorie and makes it to lunch of most of health conscious north Indians.
- Palak Paneer- Whoever created this must had a tricky mind and we feel it must be a mother. Only a doting mother can conspire to mix Palak with paneer and make it taste so good and satisfying. A food high on Iron, protein, calcium and other nutrients is actually the easiest way to eat Palak while we keep running from green leafy vegetables.
- Dal Makahani : As the name says it all Dal with an overdose of Makhan akka Butter is Dal Makkahni, just imagine what a English will call it ? DAL BUTTER sounds strange. Yet another combination surely an invention of a mom else who would want to have Kali Daal ( udad dal ). But obvious choice for all north Indians who are vegetarian while they eat out. A dish that makes it to the menu of all north Indian cuisines.
- Chole bhature : Yet again a north Indian king of food Chole Bhature is a must have in a lifetime food. This is one food which you can have guilt free even if it deep dives into oil to get its shape.
- Parantha – Again a North Indians most common breakfast that is simply loved while it is a plain parantha or if it is stuffed then it’s like love reloaded. Tastes great in every form and normally had with aaloo baaji , chutneys, pickles or with curd toh kya kehne.
- DAL CHAWAL – Very basic Indian food , which most of the Indian adore , be it in the states of MP, UP, Bihar , Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan , Punjab. Lightest possible lunch for many this is definitely a food that we Indians can’t live without. And no wonder it’s easy to cook too.
- Rajma Chawal – Kidney beans curry famously known as Rajma Chawal , a food whose name is more than enough to make a north Indian crave for this mouth-watering food. Served with plain rice this is yet another Chawal dish that is most common lunch for most of the north Indian.
- BIRYANI – In Hyderabad or anywhere in India no one can have enough of this food in India. Rice at its best we believe this is the best that can happen to rice. A name that cuddles our taste buds be it vegetable biryani or non-vegetarian.
- Aallo poori – Ye nahi kaya toh kuch nahi kaya. Aallo Puri is one of the most filling and satisfying food one can have. You are so lost in it that most of the time you lose the count of puris while eating until our stomach alarms.
No treat on the table reaches its final destination till we are not done with treating our sweet tooth.so here’s few of our top of the chart desserts which we can’t live without.
- Rasgulla – read this as ROS-O-Gulla if you are in Kolkata , a ball of Ras as the name says Rasgulla is one of sweetest dish from West Bengal that tastes yum at all times. A perfect dessert it is always. Don’t sqeeze it before having, let the sugar syrup make making you an ounce sweeter then you are.
- Kheer – A sweet dish made of Rice cooked in Milk garnished with all possible dry fruits, and at times saffron is added to add color and flavour to the most common dessert across the country. Tastes best in all form.
- Gajar Ka Halwa This is the most common sweet dish of winters when fresh and juicy carrot makes their way to this sweet temptation in all households in North INDIA. This is one sweet dish which we bet you eat with all your senses, aroma that’s takes on your sense of smell , the crisp moment of the spoon cuddles your ears with the bite the spoon is making, a velvety touch , and orange color treats your eyes and then it reaches its final destination the mouth and you are speechless. Nothing beats the freshly made smell and taste of Gajar ka halwa, no wonder there is a color Gajari too in Hindi to a shade of reddish orange.
- Ladoo – Yet another food that was to be described as a shape then is a perfect circle or sphere with a great taste or can say circle of great taste. Indian mother makes endless variety of laddoos from an array of raw materials. We Indian love this food so much that we even name our kids as laddoo when we feel they are too cute.
- Kulfi – faluda : we Indians are very sweet people and so is our food, while the world over ice creams rule but for Indian it’s the kulfi that we have an affair with. Everyone relishes it for its pure vegetarian preparation and chilled taste even it’s a food to have in Navratra.
It is not easy to pick 25 best food from a country that has got such a diverse food habits and dishes across the states and cities which are so palatable that it is impossible not to have them. You can relate to the difficulty that we had in curating just 20 foods which we cant live without. But we bet you would have loved this and we are sure we played to your expectation by including your favorite few in the list. What’s your list of best 25…… if not the one we gave. While to do justice to Indian food we ll soon curate a list of 100 food from India to die for, so hold on till then and stay alive, don’t die for food when food doesn’t let you die.